Thursday, July 17, 2014

98: admitting interest

"So I talked to this guy for three hours last night. But I'm not interested in him or anything!"

Why is it a virtue to not be interested in someone?

Have you noticed that?

Now to clarify, I'm not talking about teenage crushes that serve no purpose. And  I totally understand not wanting to share personal feelings because of their sacredness or wisely being discreet in who you share your feelings with.

Sometimes though I feel like I need to qualify to protect my own hide. No! I don't like him! It's okay. Nothing's happening.

Then sneaking another peek at his profile photo when no one's looking.

But isn't that what we want? How God designed us? For us to like someone and for something to happen?

Maybe that's why I've become less reserved in admitting at times, yes, I'm crushing right now. I would love something to happen. It probably won't. But I'm not ashamed of my choice--he's a good guy. And I'm ready for marriage! There's a purpose in my crushing.

I haven't quite gotten to the point of letting older friends set me up with strangers. I still laugh nervously and roll my eyes. Don't want to be desperate or anything!

"Dishonoring your desire to get married is a way of protecting yourself from disappointment . . . . Saying that you don't want what you want is not helpful." 
--Laura Doyle, The Surrendered Single

1 comment:

  1. Lemme tell you... GO FOR IT if older, trustworthy folks set you up! It's how I met my hubs! :-) Don't be afraid... what I figured is, honestly, what did I have to lose? It wouldn't hurt anything to meet the guy, if we didn't like each other, we didn't have to talk to each other. I asked the lady who wanted us to meet to have us both to one of their traditional bonfires... that way, it wasn't awkwardly alone on a date, and there would be other people there I knew. Needless to say, once we broke the ice, we didn't stop talking for the whole 3 hours we were there. :-D God can use any situation. :-)

    ReplyDelete