Wednesday, June 19, 2013

43: practicing life

Sometimes I surprise myself.

Sometimes I embarrass myself.

Sometimes I disappoint myself.

I don't know about you, but I can think pretty highly of myself. Especially when there's no experience to base my opinions on. I'm not going to do THAT. I know how to handle that SO much better! I've already conquered THAT sin.

And then there's times when I wonder.

I've been keeping Lisa-Jo's post "When Your Temper Scares You--Some Suggestions for Defusing" in my inbox because, in a moment of fearful honesty, I thought I might need to read it.

It's kinda scary to think how my latent temper might flare when I have kids.

Actually, it's really scary. Because I don't know how it will show itself.

Reading her blog post reminds me that everyone is sorta in the same boat. We're all practicing life. We're learning as we go. We all make mistakes, shocking, embarrassing, disappointing mistakes.

And damaging. And crawl-into-a-hole-and-die before I hurt anyone else mistakes. And take-me-now because I am such a sinner mistakes.

But God doesn't take us, and we don't crawl into a hole. We're not allowed to give up on practicing at this very real thing called life.

Lisa-Jo wrote:
I won’t carry the baggage of yesterday’s explosion or last week’s near melt down into tomorrow. I will practice grace on purpose.
I want to pray, Lord, don't let me need grace!

And then I want to cling to the hope that I am not the only one who does or will mess up and that a cloud of witnesses are likewise clinging to Him and His grace.




Now to figure out how to extend that grace to others....

4 comments:

  1. Hey, just saying....girl, you blog is GOOD. You have SO much wisdom on here. You need to get the word out more about it, okay? Let's promote you. :)

    If you ever want a new blog design, SERIOUSLY, just let me know!! I LOVE designing new blogs, so I'd seriously jump up and down with happy if you ever wanted me to play around and design you something new. I know you blog has so much potential, I want to see it take off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay me again...so I was a little bit board...and I sort of designed you a new blog. Yah, I sort of go crazy with blogs, I just love designing them and I can't stop myself! :D If you want to see it (either for serious or fun reasons), let me know. :) I'm designing a blog for another friend of mine, so blog design is sort of on the brain. ;)

      Delete
    2. haha! Yes! I want to see it! I don't know how to design blogs (picmonkey's the only way I got my header).

      Thank you for the kind comment. :) :) Actually, usually when I re-read something I've written (blog or journal), it's a major reminder to myself, as if I'm reading what someone else wrote. I think I write in the moment not because I've got it but because I need to get it. :-P

      Delete
    3. Same here, on the re-reading thing! Sometimes I go back and look at my post archives and come away encouraged and convicted by my own forgotten words. :)

      And check your email. :)

      Delete