Tuesday, July 9, 2013

47: battle of the opinions

He asks you to clarify an opinion you expressed on your profile. You explain, trying to strike the balance between firmness and liberality, since you don't know where he's coming from. He very generously understands where you're coming from and has no counter arguments! You ask him about something he said. He explains. You're pleased with his explanation. You continue to share opinions on various topics and are amazed at how well he expresses himself and how similar your viewpoints are.

And then you drop The Big One. The topic you have a feeling you will disagree on.

And you're right.

He writes out his full apologetic. You reply back with your full contrary apologetic.

When did getting to know someone also become a simultaneous battle of the opinions, a precarious dance to see if the two of you can agree on all things important/semi-important?

It's always been that way with me. I've always put a lot of stock in what my maybe-future-partner believes.

And the more I see someone as a "possibility," the more nervous I get about finding a topic where we disagree. I veer off more from getting to know the person and become a little more aggressive in arguing my opinions.

Then I start wondering if he's going to be turned off by an argumentative woman.

No moral to the story. Just one step in my journey through online "dating."

2 comments:

  1. *signed out*

    I'm sorta the same way...I bull-headedly blast into the guy taking on all the possible disagreements we might possible have.

    Or at least I would if I actually had someone. ;)

    But I really like that you're not buying into the "Jesus is my boyfriend" bit, *gag*!! I like how you worded that whole paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard something the other day about a girl who would basically try to get the guy to dump her just so she could get it over with if it wasn't going to work or make him prove his commitment...too early. Made me think.

    ReplyDelete