Sunday, May 11, 2014

87: of mothers and children

Yesterday I called my dear friend, who will give birth to her first child in the fall, to ask if I'm less spiritual if I only have two kids. But before I could get to the point of why I called (and before she could laugh at my question and give a definite "no"), we talked about a few other things, and she randomly said that I will be a good mother. The exact same thing happened today. Out of the blue, another friend told me the same thing, that I will make a good mother.

I was flattered, but incredulous.

This year, if there is one thing I have learned, and learned hard, is that raising kids is hard. I mean, like, really hard.

I always thought raising kids would be fun, fulfilling, satisfying, my life work, spiritual, and to some extent easy. You have your philosophy of child-raising, and you walk it out. (And look down on all those parents who yell at their kids or whose kids are out of control.)

But now, after almost 9 months of teaching six kids...

Mother's Day craft at school
I finally understand a little why the Christmas Song says "and mom and dad can hardly wait til school will start again." I always thought that attitude was very unbiblical. And I suppose I still do. But I understand it better now.

I understand why moms get gray hairs--because I've grown a whole patch this year.

I marvel at my mom's patience when I was growing up. Marvel.

Moms must be some of the most spiritual people out there because their selflessness has been tested and tried so often.

I now see that homeschooling moms probably often feel like they're failing. Oh man, just thinking of how moms are responsible for shaping character, training their children up in the Lord, teaching manners, teaching academics (!!!), providing opportunities for fun, and building relationships with their kids--it's overwhelming! How do they do it? And do it so successfully?

My mom made it look easy.

I know I won't fully appreciate my mom until I have kids of my own, but this year has been an eye-opener. Thank you, Mom, for doing a rather amazing job at being the best mom! I hope one day I can do as good a job as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment