Saturday, May 31, 2014

89: you won't believe it

Since I last wrote, I did something daring and adventurous and out of the ordinary. And no, I didn't go on a hike. I actually went on a date with a guy I met online.

*gasp*

It was all safe and unscary--we had mutual friends, met in a public place, I checked him out on Facebook first, etc.

I only had a couple days to mentally prepare. To psych myself up. Or rather, keep myself calm. To give myself good advice before I acted on instinct instead of wisdom.

And this is what I told myself, or rather, what I typed in my phone as a note to remember:

"Do not critique [his work]--get to know his heart. Don't try to make him work within parameters or worry when he doesn't--get to know him and how he specifically works."

I'm so glad God put these thoughts in my head before I went. Because he wasn't at all what I was expecting...but then, I went in to it not expecting anything. And it was enjoyable! Calmly enjoyable. Two hours of conversation over burgers and chicken strips.

I don't usually do things right when it comes to the male species. Only days before I had walked into a situation where I specifically wanted to make a good impression, and instead, I opened my mouth and inserted my foot. What is up with that? At times like that I'm like, I just want to stay single, forever, because I make such a fool of myself when I try.

So I'm thankful that this time I listened to God's wisdom and just listened and enjoyed the person. I might have got other things wrong (sometimes my face contorts randomly as a memory of something I said or did comes to mind), but I left my witty criticisms and analytical categorizing and cataloguing at home.

So. Online dating. In general, I don't think it's for me. But in July I'm going to another wedding of people who met online!

No comments:

Post a Comment