Tuesday, August 12, 2014

102: what to expect when you're expecting a difficult year...or, renewing the mind in advance

Here are my thoughts before I officially go back to school tomorrow. (I welcome prayer and accountability.)


I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed (Psalm 77:3). Maybe complaining aids overwhelmtion?

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you (2 Thes. 5:16-18).

Love others (John 15:9-12). It's not something I've practiced, but like the verse above, it's clearly God's will. I cannot do wrong in trying to do God's explicit will.

"What have I to dread? What have I to fear? leaning on the everlasting arms. I have perfect peace with my Lord so near, leaning on the everlasting arms."

And above all, my goal, by God's grace, is to abide in Him (Jn 15).

I cannot ward off the complaining now. I cannot give myself an immunization shot of hope to battle despair. I cannot get all the sleep now for the rest of the year or do all the grading now or even do all the lesson planning now.

I cannot fortify myself now for the upcoming school year. So I remind myself that today's obedience and abiding in Christ is fighting the war.

I would have lost hope unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

"You're an overcomer! Stay in the fight til the final round. You're not going under! Cuz God is holding you right now. You may be down for a moment, feelin' that it's hopeless. That's when He reminds you. You're an overcomer." --Mandisa

Edits:
P.S. I AM excited about going back to school and am glad I'm going back tomorrow!
P.S.S. Another reminder to self: Only abiding in Christ will achieve effective results. Abiding in chocolate, Doctor Who, cheap library book sales, cute decor, or time alone with a movie and icecream just won't. Not that they aren't blessings God uses sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment