Saturday, August 16, 2014

103: when hubby expects your day off to be a day spent with him

Excuse the marriage metaphor. Give me a sec.

I'm a teacher in the the throes of preparing for a new school year to start on the 25th. This last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, my brain and body have been in school-mode, with the slight variation of dreaming last night of decorating my classroom Doctor-Who style (I didn't actually dream of Tardis blue, it was just a general impression when I woke up that that's what I had dreamt).

what I'll be seeing every day as I teach--the yellow bulletin board, not the mess!
I also believe in keeping one day a week as a sabbath to God, based off of Genesis 2 (God hallowed and blessed the seventh day and rested on it--I'm not Adventist and I have no plans of joining a seventh-day church; sometimes I take my sabbath on Sundays.). During the summer I don't do this as much because "every day's a holiday," but during the school year I try to be more intentional. It is such a blessing. A day where I have permission to recharge and not think about school.

But sometimes it is inconvenient. And sometimes it seems mentally impossible.

As I was laying in bed this morning, lounging through the mid-morning hours because I CAN, I was browsing through teacher blogs on my phone, repinning great ideas, making notes to myself of what I want to remember to do this next week before school starts.

Bear with this illustration, but I could imagine if God was my husband, him saying something like, "Babe, this is your day off. I thought we were going to spend the day together."

And me, scrolling past photos of lime green book bins and rows of ocean blue chairs, going, "I know......."

Now I believe God gives us grace for those times when we just can't mentally turn off and focus on Him. And I also think that we can turn our current preoccupations into prayers: "Lord, help me teach so-and-so this year."

But, as with a husband, I think God also deserves more of my intentional time on His appointed day than I gave him today. I think I need it desperately too.

No comments:

Post a Comment