Tuesday, October 28, 2014

117: tick...tick...tick...

See, it used to be those people, those older friends. Those adults.

Now it's me, or rather people my age, families I could be having. People younger than me with two year olds.

And I'm just over here sleeping in the day bed I've had since I was 5, calling my four students my "kids," and dreaming of growing old with my dog.

It's not me creating a family and it doesn't seem like it will be.

But when I see a sick child with sandy colored hair cuddled up with his mom on the bench, covered with a soft train blanket, I can't help feeling wistful and like I'm missing out.

As I look back at my image in the full length mirror in the school restroom I panic just a little at the thought of getting older and never having a person by my side to smile at me along the way.

It's not always about finding fulfillment or purpose in the single life. Sometimes it's about God-designed biological clocks and navigating your way around its ticking.

Hashtag resigning myself to perpetual singleness

Hashtag trying to be content if that's God's will

"growing old with my dog"


P.S. I wrote the above last week. This week I'm thinking an adaptation on arranged marriage might be a plausible solution to perpetual singleness, depending on God's will. Yes, that sounds like a joke. No, it's not, these have really been my thoughts. Yes, I agree, my dog is really cute, thank you. :)


3 comments:

  1. And I want to hear more about the P.S. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another blogpost maybe. Or a FB msg? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend I know how you feel...esp in light of the events of my younger sister getting married (or these days even someone younger than me). It seems
    It's never going to happen...and I find it harder to wait...and I feel like I will grow old alone...with just my fish or I may even buy a dog...love ya friend-maybe someday our Jane Austen hero will come

    ReplyDelete