Friday, February 28, 2020

251: without Jesus, I would be insane

I was recently reading a report from a school that said over 40% of its student population claim that mental health issues, like stress and anxiety, affect their success in school. It was also observed that mental health issues are on an upward trend.

It made me remember what I have thought before, perhaps morbidly. Namely, that without Jesus, I would be in an insane asylum. Granted, this is alternate history and not verifiable. But this is what I think.

Without Jesus, I would be a pleasure-seeker. I would seek fulfillment anywhere and everywhere. Without Jesus, I would have no basis for morals. I would see that even the boundaries I did arbitrarily set lacked foundations, and I would experiment to see how far I could go. I would be desperate for something to fill me, but I would also be lazy to do what it really took to rise above myself and my feelings. I would become depressed. I would grow inward and anti-social. I would become consumed by hopelessness. I would spiral. Without Jesus, His objective Truth, and the counsel of other believers (like my mom), my only recourse would be at least medication, if not suicide or homelessness, because I wouldn't be able to deal with life.

I know that sounds ridiculously grim. But I am so governed by the principles of Scripture, that it is that which keeps me at the level of living which I enjoy, which isn't anything grandiose anyway, but is considerably better than my nature would take me to.

Because of Jesus, I know pleasures are not meant to fulfill. They are blessings from Him, but not soul quenchers.

Because of Jesus, I know that my soul has eternal value independent of anything else. I am valuable because I am a human being made by God and because Jesus died to save me.

Because of Jesus, I know I have purpose apart from circumstances.

Because of Jesus, I know that circumstances and feelings are temporary and changeable. I have Him as my Rock always.

Because of Jesus, I have hope that Someone sees the end from the beginning, and even though I do not understand His sovereignty, I believe He is sovereign and that I am in His hand. Life is not spiraling out of control.

Because of God's Word, I know that laziness is not the correct option, that morals are not subjective, that there is Life bigger than me to live for.

When I was a teenager, I struggled with depression. Although most of that dissipated by the time I turned 18, I think my true freedom came that next year when God revealed the cross more to me. That it's not about me and what I do. It's about the objective act of Christ on the cross.

Objectivity, and being planted firmly in it, and a personal love within that objectivity, does wonders for my crazed emotions.

So, these kids with mental health issues every day. Yes, of course they do. Because we live in a messed up world and there are no answers. Unless--

No comments:

Post a Comment