Sunday, February 23, 2020

Book Review: A Girl's Guide to the Outback

I literally JUST finished this book, am in the middle of cleaning the kitchen after Mom's stirfry dinner, but I want to get this review written now while it's fresh and before days pass like with The Dating Charade.

So it may be a quick review.

First, the setting was lovely. Australia with its accents and different English words for things, the farm setting, the casual mention of kangaroos and koalas--I don't know anything about this author but I sure hope she's Aussie. :) I listened to the audiobook version, so I enjoyed the accents (even though the author's American sounded Canadian!).

Second, I liked the plot and characters. All-business Kim goes to Australia to try to convince called-to-preach Sam, who considers her his nemesis, to return to their youth ministry which is falling apart in the states without him. They both must learn to confront their fears, communicate them, and not allow their fears power to have control any longer. The side characters with their own love story is fun too. :)

Third, there was too much description of physical attraction (and PDA) for me. It was woven well into the character's personality (It was very believable that Jules would use binoculars to watch Nic chop firewood). But, it was a bit much for me. These Christian romance novels are actually ironic (probably not the correct adjective) considering I lean towards having a fairly hands-free dating relationship and no kissing til the altar, and all these books take the general stance of kiss first, build the relationship later.

Ok, out of time! :) Now I get to read Sarah Sundin's book review. I was putting off reading it until I finished the book. :)

P.S. According to Amazon, Jessica Kate IS Australian--yay! And Sarah Sundin's book review (which I DID link) gives a MUCH better synopsis than I did. :)

P.S.S. One of the lines that will stick out to me for awhile is, "What would you do if you weren't afraid?"

No comments:

Post a Comment