Wednesday, May 22, 2013

37: contentment at a wedding

Well, with half of my subscription to eHarmony past, online dating seems to be a bust for me. But that's ok.

Two weekends ago I went to a wedding. The bride was the most elegant, demure, sweetest bride I have seen. (Each bride/wedding has her own unique adjectives--those were hers.)

When the wedding was over, I stayed late with my friend--the maid of honor--and watched the photographer snap some more shots as the sun hit the couple just right. My friend told me a little bit more of their story.

They met online. She is in her late 20s, he in his early 30s. She was the first girl he had ever kissed. He comes from a wholesome, Christian, homeschool family. And they met online.

(How did she meet the one guy like that out of all the millions of profiles??)


As I watched them pose on a bench overlooking a lake, my first, natural response was good-old-fashioned wedding envy.

"I want that!"

But I had to bite the words back.

Because this kind of relationship I was seeing before me was too good and innocent to be dragged to the level of the moaning, whining, "I want, I want."

I had to settle back on something I rarely feel at weddings. Contentment.

I had rather be where I am in life right now than get a second-hand copy by grabbing and whining for it.

Because what I was seeing was a gift from heaven. And that comes from the hand of Almighty God.

When life throws you a wedding, make sure you eat a cupcake!

10 comments:

  1. Wow. Michelle, this post is profound! What really struck me was the sentence you wrote "I had rather be where I am in life right now than get a second-hand copy by grabbing and whining for it."

    That's what I usually do - grab and whine when I see someone else has a story (usually involving a guy, of course) that I want, but don't have. I also like how you make the point that someone else's happy ending is really to precious to drag down to a fit of jealous and envy.

    Thanks for reminding me of these things, Michelle!

    P.S. I still think you should add the "Follow Me" gadget! Then people who find your blog can easily find it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a follow by e-mail gadget. Should I figure out how to make a fancy one?
      Tank ewe :)

      Delete
    2. You actually don't have to make one - just go to the "layout" portion of the blog and click the "add gadget" thing on the right sidebar and there should be an option something like "add list of followers." That will make the followers thing like I have on mine.

      Delete
  2. Oh and I LOVE that picture of you and the cupcake - cupcakes makes everything okay, right? Right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and for the raspberry lovers, in the middle of the chocolate was a raspberry filling!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Michelle. Good reminder that these stories really are gifts from God. And he does know how to give top-notch gifts! :) Cupcakes are pretty sweet gifts, too, you know. Get it? "Sweet" gifts! Ha ha Maybe we can make cupcakes next time we get together. Or wait? Will we have time to that...with all the other things we "need" to do next time? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheesecake cupcakes perhaps?

      Delete
    2. I like this discussion! I must chime in. I think you guys making cupcakes of the cheesecake variety is a very good idea. I think it would be good the general morale upkeep. ;)

      Delete
    3. the general morale upkeep of Katheryn's house or your house? :-P

      Delete
    4. Either one. I can be at either one at any point and time. :)

      Delete