Saturday, February 16, 2013

1 : online dating

Mmm, the serenity of a quiet pool.

distraction: In A Tree Grows in Brooklyn they talk about how people use metaphors about things they've never seen. A quiet pool? Do I really mean a quiet pool? Or is it just a meaningless, pretty metaphor?

I'm watching a couple Hallmark movies back to back while I'm dogsitting. Lovely, romantic, feel-good movies. :) Can't help but think though. The last one was about true love. True, infatuated, passionate, overwhelming, undeniable love. They said it happens rarely.

I think about all the fellows I've met in my 27 years. Yeah, I suppose it does happen rarely. :)

And then you wonder how so many people in the world get married.

distraction: And then you think about all the other cultures in the world and, really, what is head over heels love anyway?

The one I'm watching now is about a NY girl meeting a guy in Wyoming.

I have an eHarmony match from Wyoming.

I had a match awhile ago that was a rancher, like the guy in the movie. If you want someone who works a normal 8-5 workday then he's not the one. But he quoted C.S. Lewis, which I thought was pretty cool. Unfortunately I deleted him awhile ago otherwise I'd be kinda curious to relook at him.

So, about eHarmony, ChristianMingle, etc. About matches.

distraction: btw, if you're going to post your occupation on a dating site, at least spell it correctly.

I was talking to an older sister the other day (as in, she's a couple years older than me and is the sister of a friend :)). She's doing the whole online dating thing off and on. And she comes to it so practically. Sorts through the matches. Corresponds, meets, meets again, decides.

And me?

More like agony and fear.

Fear that "it won't work." Assuming that the point is for it to "work." Dreading a possible breakup before I even send the first e-mail.

How do you tell someone "no" after knowing they are a real person with real hopes and feelings?

How do you reply unless you are 95% sure it's a good idea?

1 comment:

  1. I am just getting around to reading your blog {and can't believe its taking me this long to do it}. I have done the online dating thing...eharmony and Christian mingle--there are some interesting people on there by the way. Since May, I have been emailing a young man about two or three times a week. He seems like a great guy....but sadly doesn't seem like "the one" for me. We have both determined that maybe we are just to be friends. I say you don't have to be sure to reply...its like meeting someone for the first time--you don't automatically become friends, and it takes time to get to know someone. But from this journey into online dating that I have taken your heart and emotions do get involved and sometimes you have to step back and breathe and pray for the Lord's guidance.

    ReplyDelete