Thursday, February 21, 2013

5: what do I like? (i)

You know what makes it so difficult to write a dating site profile? I like a little bit of everything!

Now that is fine if you like a LOT of everything. If you love things and hate things.

But what if you just like a smidgen of everything. What if your heart thrills at bluegrass and country and celtic and big band and Christian contemporary and jazz and southern gospel and even a little Messianic?

What if you like corny Roy Rogers music from B-movies in the '30s?

What if sometimes you pull out that cassette of songs by uncared-about singers that a missionary's daughter recorded for you, like, 10 years ago?

What if you like Kutless' Even If, absolutely love anything Laura Story, still have a few fond memories of Twila Paris, and love all the old Steven Curtis Chapman and 4Him songs?

What if Celtic can put you in a trance somedays and drive you nuts if you listen to it for an hour?

It's like tuna sandwiches. If I eat a tuna sandwich while watching a Bonanza or a Hogan's Heroes or any show I might be into at the time, the next time I eat a tuna sandwich my mind/emotions/heart will go straight back to that feeling of nostalgia from the last time.

And so it is with music. I like music not because I inherently like the sound, but because I either love the words (like in the case of Laura Story), or, usually, I associate the genre with an experience, a feeling, another world.

That was a distraction, a convoluted go-around.

The point being, it's hard to know WHAT you like enough to write it down when you like, well, a little bit of everything!

So you ask me Country or Rock? Um, I don't know! A little of both, I guess! And not necessarily a lot of either!

No comments:

Post a Comment