Tuesday, March 5, 2013

12: summum bonum

A corner of my life is quickly getting consumed with "the guy hunt." I'm not even particularly anxious to be in a relationship at the moment; I'm just enjoying finding and filtering through options. It's embarassing to admit, but I am. And as I clarified to a friend the other day, I'm not a player, I'm just trying to be more practical and less emotionally involved than is my norm, per a friend's example and my mom's advice (or at least my interpretation of her advice!). Fortunately my friend laughed at the idea of me being a player. But for a girl who only talked about guys in code through all of her teens, talking about guys openly sometimes makes me feel obsessed.

So, yes, a corner of my life has been consumed, especially since I started this new blog. So it's time for a blessed reminder.

The Lord is my summum bonum.* The Lord is the greatest good, my greatest good.

Whatever you have your head down in, focused on, consumed by, every once in awhile peek up and remind yourself that God is the summum bonum of your life.

This season of my life will pass. Either I'll get worn out or I'll retreat in terror when a good guy is actually interested in me or I will get married and will enter a new season of my life.

I might get in a relationship and have it end in disaster.

I might get exasperated at not finding any good guys.

Basically, this is only a corner of my life, and if everything goes wrong, or if everything goes well, God is still God and it's all about knowing Him and following Him.

That's stability right there.

And that's what I sometimes have to pause my exhilirating carousel ride to remember. My existence is about Him.

*I thought Wikipedia did a nice job explaining this phrase: "Summum bonum is a Latin expression meaning "the highest good" and is used in philosophy, particularly in medieval philosophy and in Kantianism, to describe the ultimate importance, the singular and most ultimate end which human beings ought to pursue. The summum bonum is generally thought of as being an end in itself, and at the same time containing all other goods."

No comments:

Post a Comment