Thursday, February 12, 2015

142: a more superficial reason not to have a singles pity-party

I believe it's called torturing yourself.

Don't tell me I'm the only one that does it.

Ok, maybe I am! I look at that one Facebook picture of a sweet new family, babe in arms. Then I, on purpose, go to another friend's page and look at her sweet new family photo, babe in arms. And then I go to another friend's page, just to look at a pic of her and her new husband, then another friend's page.

A nervous niggle in my mind keeps me from entering into the intended deep, heart-rending pity-party I was trying to create for me-myself-and-I.

All those pictures I was talking about? One family. One family of girls where that whole getting married and having a family thing was dragging on years past when I'm sure their mother had expected. And then, BAM!, within like two years, four sisters succumbed to matrimony like dominoes in a pre-ordained line-up.

My pity-party gets forced to the back burner because, knowing my luck, just about the time I moan and groan and think "poor me," I'm going to be the one dressed in white with a veil and what will I be forced to do then? Laugh at my lack of foresight? The joke will be on me.

It makes it harder to bemoan the future when God is standing right there with His plan in hand, knowing exactly what comes next, listening to me acting like I know what's around the corner and already decrying it.

Call it pride, but the fear that my pity party is going to come back to bite me is one of my more superficial reasons for not indulging these days.

I don't know when the domino is going to fall. I have no promise from God that it is going to fall. But if it does, I don't especially want to be caught whining that it's never going to happen.

And if someday my prince doesn't come? Well...there are other blog posts for issues of trusting God, submission to His hidden plan, promoting marriage regardless of personal relationship status, etc.

Northanger Abbey internet meme, for the Austen unenlightened

2 comments:

  1. Your blog posts are fun to read and insightful, I would like to blog too but I don't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! When I started this blog, I didn't tell anyone about it until I had written several posts. I wanted the freedom to make mistakes without anyone reading it. If you need help with signing up to a blog site, lemme know :)

    ReplyDelete