Friday, February 13, 2015

143: oh wait, is that what Christians are supposed to look like?

The other day on Facebook, two of my friends posted the same controversial meme. One person posted it and then asked in the comments if people would join her in praying for the object of the meme. Another person posted it, and a high-emotion conversation started in the comments.

I am used to seeing debates on Facebook, but that day I saw the stark contrast between the two reactions: prayer for the "enemy" vs. heated debate over the issue. And I thought, "Oh wait, is that what Christians are supposed to act like?"

During a staff meeting, I found out that our girls' basketball team, normally victorious, had lost by a hair the night before. The coach and one of the girl's moms shared that they had encouraged the players to do as the Bible says: rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep. Yeah, it's hard to lose, said the coach, but we need to be glad for the other team (which apparently does not often win).

I am used to people being upset, frustrated, rehashing and complaining. But listening to the coach talk, I thought, "Oh wow, that's what Christians are supposed to look like, isn't it?"

When I get glimpses of sisters and brothers shining with the light of God's kingdom, I am taken aback by its brightness. I am reminded that the kingdom of which I am a part has an order that purposefully contrasts with the kingdom of darkness. "Rules" like be patient and pray for your enemies are so easily ignored in favor of excuses of "I am tired" and "Let me tell you how wrong they are." But until I actually follow the simple guidelines of this kingdom of light, like actively love, actively serve, actively pray, am I actually walking in the light? Or am I sitting on the sidelines surviving, leaving the actual walking to others?

May the Lord grant us more glimpses of the bright light that comes with walking in His kingdom.

"For those who live according to the flesh, set their minds on the things of the flesh; but those who live according to the Spirit the things of the Spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment