Friday, November 6, 2015

November Prayer 5 (a reminder that we are known)

I don't know if this is a prayer or a reminder to store up for the days when one needs reminding. Instead of using the plural pronoun "we" or "they," I chose the singular pronoun "I" because there was no other way it could have been written.

Lord, sometimes I don't know who I am or what I want or where I'm going. Sometimes I am confused and just want someone to know me. Lord, John 10 says twice that You are the good shepherd, and verse 11 says that you know Your sheep. Verse 3 says that You call Your own sheep by name. You know my inward parts. Is it possible that You know me better than I know myself? That You know my desires as well, and even better, and more truly than I do? You, oh Lord, know me, not only in the way that the Knower of All Things knows. For lack of a better way of putting it, You have taken the time to know me, like a shepherd knows the individual idiosyncrasies of each of his sheep. You know me because You have watched me from birth. You have drawn me. You have chosen me. How great are the sum of Your thoughts towards me. You have searched me. You understand my thought afar off. You understand my path--You! Someone! understands my path and are acquainted with all my ways. But You have not only known me, but You have hedged me, enclosed me, behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me (Psalm 139). You show me Your ways, teach me Your paths, lead me in Your truth, and teach me (Psalm 25:4-5). You teach me the sound of Your voice, and I know You. I might not always like what You say. I may sometimes mistake Your voice and have to learn the hard way. But You never forsake me. You never stop loving me. I am Yours.

Whether today I am happy with life or miserable, confident in my trajectory or feeling like I'm living Plan C-, I am known and I am cared for. That is truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment