Saturday, October 21, 2017

220: freedom and flexibility and time

So I've been gone from writing for a week (my excuse is a week-long head cold) and the thought of coming back is a little overwhelming. But I can see my perspective changing away from thankfulness, not because I don't have a pile of things I could have said the last several days that have been blessings, but because I haven't been writing them down. So now I'm more blaaaaah.

I guess the way to get back to writing is to actually write, whether it's cohesive (or succinct) or not. Last weekend I was at a Homeschool Alumni retreat with about 50 other singles. During one of the lunchtimes, they divided us between guys and girls, and one of the HSAers that married a year or two ago talked to us girls about things on her heart. One of the things she mentioned was how now with her baby she has less freedom to build relationships and stay up late talking with us and all that. That really stuck with me, especially as I could see later in the weekend her trying to hold onto a squiggly baby or changing a diaper in the middle of a dance (ECD and swing).

I've always focused more on the downside of not being a wife and mother. Probably because I didn't want to adopt an attitude of valuing independence over family. But...

This week, watching that one young mom at the event, spending time with another here locally, I'm realizing how much freedom and flexibility I DO have as a single, and probably should be enjoying while I have it.

On the flip side, I've been really blessed the last couple days with three young married friends who have made a point of catching up as friends, hanging out, spending time.

Singles still have lives. We don't have all the time in the world. We prioritize how to spend our time. But, we do have the freedom to choose how to spend our time, and when you're married or when you have children depending on you, that flexibility dwindles.

So today I am thankful that for this season, my time is my own. May I enjoy it--and use it well--in this season.

What relationships are you building now while there are no outside pulls on your time?
 
 
last Sunday's HSA hike
 
I am participating in "Write 31 Days," where a bunch of bloggers write...for 31 days. My theme is "This My Single Life," with a focus on the blessings of this season. Hopefully it's obvious to anyone who knows me or has read my blog that I want to be married and have kids. But at 32 years old, I am quite single, and I think it's God-glorifying to highlight the good things God has given me with singleness. Click here to access the links for my 31 days of writing! And if you want to read everyone else's blog posts, go to http://write31days.com/ and click "Linking Up" for the categories!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment