Wednesday, October 25, 2017

225: no clue

Today I finished listening to the three broadcasts Family Life Today just did with Joshua Harris about I Kissed Dating Goodbye. Can you believe the book is 20 years old? They discuss what was good about his book, what was misleading, and how people have been helped and hurt by its influence.

I am thankful that I have ridden the waves of "dating is worldly, courtship is Biblical" to today's "if you ask me out to coffee, I won't consider it a marriage proposal, and if I agree, I hope you won't take it as serious interest. But secretly I'll be thinking of everything through the lens of a potential marriage." I am thankful that I have lived through enough micro-cultural dating-courtship-betrothal-etc. fads that I now have absolutely no idea how matches are made, love forms, or marriage occurs. I could have become a legalistic, formula-based, married know-it-all. I don't know any marrieds like that, but I'm pretty sure I could have nailed it. Seriously. Instead, I'm a clueless single at the mercy of Providence, because I am realizing more and more how imperfect and insufficient I am to change my status.

It's not a bad place to be, right? At a loss on your own? Dependent on God's sovereignty, sanctifying power, and wise counsel?

This is my single life. Learning, dependent, but really, no clue.

What inadequacy are you thankful for in a weird sort of way?

~*~
I am participating in "Write 31 Days," where a bunch of bloggers write...for 31 days. My theme is "This My Single Life," with a focus on the blessings of this season. Hopefully it's obvious to anyone who knows me or has read my blog that I want to be married and have kids. But at 32 years old, I am quite single, and I think it's God-glorifying to highlight the good things God has given me with singleness. Click here to access the links for my 31 days of writing! And if you want to read everyone else's blog posts, go to http://write31days.com/ and click "Linking Up" for the categories!

No comments:

Post a Comment