Monday, April 1, 2013

22: simply the unphilosophical books I'm reading

I went to the library Thursday and checked out seven Christian romance novels (chick-flick novels, I like to call them).

I've read three of them so far.

A Hopeful Heart was really good. It was by Kim Vogel Sawyer, and she's just a good author! It made me want to be a rancher's wife!

Now and Always and Yellow Rose Bride were both slow to start and had unexplainable gaps, or jumps in what was going on. For example, one moment the girl would be talking to the guy in the afternoon in town, and the next paragraph it was evening and she was kissing him? Did I miss something? Or one moment the girl's host is telling her to go into the house and eat breakfast and the next paragraph she's scanning the ruins of her destroyed house? How'd she get there, by teleport? I really enjoyed Lori Copeland's Brides of the West series, which is why I checked out these other two by the same author. But with the slow starts, the gaps, and the fact that both stories ended with someone unexpectedly going insane and threatening the heroine . . . they weren't my favorite.



Another book I read the other day, a novella called Alabama, had four stories where the girls were consistently being kissed by guys they didn't know if they loved yet, and they didn't even bat an eye when they were quite casually, unexpectedly, kissed on the lips! I had to wonder if I missed something, because pretty sure if I had never been in a relationship before, like one of the author's heroines, and then a guy I knew just upped and kissed me, I would be surprised, shocked, dumbfounded, thrown into a big question mark, and most definitely would not continue the afternoon as if nothing happened, like in the book. Maybe it's a Southern thing?

No moral to the story for this post.

By the way, any storyline that has to do with mail-order brides, or, like with A Hopeful Heart, girls coming from back east to find a husband, has my immediate interest!

4 comments:

  1. HAHA!! I have wondered the same thing myself!! I'm pretty sure that being randomly kissed by a guy (even one I knew or even liked!) would NOT make me happy, since I'm judiciously saved my first kiss for my wedding day...but in books? Free kisses for all!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolll! Free kisses for all!!!
    Dear me, now I need to learn comment etiquette. Can you write a post about what you should say in comments on blogs and comments on comments?
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellie's Courtesy Post on Blog Comment Etiquette:

    So whatever you want!!! Hahahah!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete