Tuesday, April 30, 2013

33: where I'm at

A blog with a focus on online dating and I haven't even mentioned it in what seems like a long while! There's a reason for that.

My eHarmony options petered out a month ago. Seems like longer ago than that when all the online drama was occuring. But anyhoo, I do have a 23 year old in my "Your Turn" folder, but I'm not ready to see how things would go with someone 4 years younger than me. Not online. Not with someone I don't already know is mature.

On ChristianMingle I've had several smiles. Some of them more amusing than not. Today I got one from a 49 year old whose second chin covered any existing neck and who attended church only on "special occasions." But his favorite actors were the same as mine! Jimmy Stewart, Errol Flynn, Olivia deHavilland. Now if I could get a younger man who had the same favorite actors . . . nah, impossible!


Errol Flynn and Olivia deHavilland
in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)


Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur
in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)



















But I did get a message from a seemingly very promising option on ChristianMingle. The only problem is *pause* I'm not a subscriber. So I can't reply. Not until I pay the $30+ for a month's subscription.

I prayed about it. The Lord answered "Wait until your spiritual life is better." I didn't like that answer. I never have liked any limits put on the possibility of finding "someone." I considered arguing with the Lord. But a friend's archived post reminded me of how ugly it gets when you try to fight God. It simply isn't worth it. Even today, quite randomly, I felt such gratitude to the Lord that I have no relationship or other commitment that I am struggling to hold onto in the midst of inner torment due to resisting God's will. And for once I thought maybe I understand when people say to hold everything with an open hand.

So I haven't paid the money to be active on ChristianMingle, and eHarmony, as I said, is currently dead for me. And thus why I haven't talked about online dating in the last month.

Alternate moral to the story: If you've never watched a Jimmy Stewart/Jean Arthur or Errol Flynn/Olivia deHavilland movie, you're missing out!

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least you gave that option a try! Oh but wow...the self-control to actually ignore a "promising message" and just wait! Eeek! I'm not sure I'd be so disciplined...which is why online dating wouldn't be good for me! I'm too emotion-driven to be rational if I ever got a hit from a cute guy. Especially if he was a fire-fighter! *wink* I like all those actors/actresses except for Jean Athur...can't stand her voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What option did I give a try? *confused* Oh, I'm emotion-driven too. :-P Did you see I linked to your post?

    ReplyDelete