Friday, April 26, 2013

32: a worldview chasm

I guess when you enter the enemy's camp you should expect to be shot at. I just wasn't expecting the kind of ammunition that would be launched our way.

A friend of mine on Facebook (an unwed, pregnant teenager, by the way) posted a pro-life picture on the Planned Parenthood Facebook page.

You can imagine the conversation that ensued.

I think I've subconsciously always thought that if I could sit down with a pro-choicer I could reason with them for life.

What I did not take into consideration is that there has not simply been a worldview shift in our society. No, a CHASM separates the pro-life and pro-choice positions. We start from completely opposing presuppositions. Our definition of the value of life is so opposite that it is impossible to really debate.

my nieces and nephew, ten years ago
 
Evidences of the chasm (quotes taken from the raging FB discussion):

"Being pregnant is not our natural state." I have to wonder what is more natural than pregnancy?

Christians value babies and life. Pro-choicers call fetuses: "an unwanted non sentiment pencil eraser sized zef."

The Bible calls the fruit of the womb a reward. Pro-choicers say a female fetus "is invading someone else's body inside the womb. It doesn't matter what the gender of a fetus is, if it is unwanted, then we have every right to remove it. If it can't live outside of the womb, it is not our fault."

Christians believe that a fetus/baby is a result of sexual intimacy and that we are responsible for our choices. Pro-choicers say, "It's there against consent. And we're free to remove it. No one is under obligation to provide bodily resources for another person to live."

In reply to my comment that the fetus IS there with consent, that of two consenting adults, someone said, "Consensual sex is only consent for sex and orgasms. Consent must be continuous to remain valid. Consent can be revoked at any time."

This comment stunned me: "You also fail to realize that there is no right to life."

Perhaps the underbelly shows in this emotional reply, "And anyways I HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO RISK MY HEALTH AND LIFE FOR ANNNNYYYYYOOOOONE."

One lady summed it up well:
"Abortion advocates say nothing about
when life begins because it doesn't matter.
It's my uterus. I decide what stays in it or not.

Really simple."

A fetus is an unwanted invasionary force. The issue is not life. The issue is all about what I want.

Now I understand. Now the invisible chasm that separates Biblical teaching from the pro-choice worldview has become crystal clear.

All because of a Facebook discussion.

me

By the way, just because some people are adamant pro-choicers, that does not mean that many people aren't still on the fence, waiting to be convinced either way. My friend Rebekah is doing a good work with Students for Life! Also, God is in the business of regeneration--not just tweaking our points of view, but giving us a complete makeover!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those quotes make me so very sad. I think the heart of the matter comes down to the selfishness of our society/world. Pure selfishness. I'm glad God is still in the business of changing hearts.

    P.S You were a cute baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's nice that God's power to change people is not based on how good/bad/near holiness a person is!
    And thanks :-P

    ReplyDelete