Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Day 11 of 31 Days of My Single Life

I didn't know what to write about tonight, but this verse hit me today, and then I started journaling, and so, well, hang on.

"For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful" (Lk. 6:35-36).

That is what Jesus Himself said about God the Father. He is kind to the unthankful and evil. We serve a good God. A holy God who hates sin with a passion but who is still kind and expects us as image-bearers to be likewise merciful.

This has nothing to do with "them." They are still unthankful--a characteristic listed in 2 Tim. 3:1-4, one of the characteristics of those from whom Paul exhorts us to turn away. They are still evil. But this isn't about justifying sin, accepting sin, or making light of sin.

This is about us as people of the kingdom of God living according to the rules of that kingdom, walking in the light, marching to the beat of a different drum.

Love your enemies
Do good
Lend, hoping for nothing in return
Forgive
 
These things have nothing to do with "them" and everything to do with our choice to be courageous and do the hard thing of living rightly.
 
Sin is not our master. Sometimes I act as if my desires are my lord and I limply follow along. I'm doing that this week actually and struggling to know what is right and what is wrong, or at least not beneficial (I Cor. 6:12). What does God say to Cain? "If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it" (Gen. 4:7). I Cor. 6:12: "All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."
 
Not to get all power suit here, but who is the boss over our actions? We are! Unless like James 1 says, we are drawn away by our own desires and enticed (v. 14).
 
My students--the whole school--is memorizing James. Mine asked what "enticed" meant. I acted out physically being drawn away. It's like being physically drug around by your desires as if you have a hook through your nose (I wasn't that graphic with them--didn't think of it til now).
 
No. We have got to be courageous and take a stand. (Interesting side-note, look at Rev. 21:8 and the first characteristic mentioned.) Take a stand to live like people belonging to the kingdom of God. Sometimes that will mean fighting within ourselves against our grabby desires for pleasure (James 4:1). Sometimes that will mean refusing to engage with people towards whom we want so badly to react.

Courage, by the way, is our school theme for the month. May God bless us with courage to do the hard things!

me at one of my birthday parties

No comments:

Post a Comment