Monday, October 3, 2016

Day 3 of 31 Days of My Single Life

Exercise. I have always had an emotional allergy to that word. Any subtle maneuver of encouragement in that direction was met with either defensiveness tinged with a twang of whine or a slow descent into melancholic depression and begging-for-consolation tears.

It's not that I object to physical exertion. I love English country dancing (ECD). I love long walks (12 miles from MIT to Harvard and back to the North End in Boston while wearing foamy flip-flops this summer stretched that love). I even have enjoyed the occasional volleyball game (as long as other people will dive for my ball if I miss).

But formal exercise?

Well, I did go through several months where I faithfully went to Curves. So I think I should get bonus points for that. I mean, at least it was something.

Then almost four years ago I went to Oregon for my childhood friend's wedding and woke up one morning to a horrible backache. And like the marriage vows I subsequently witnessed, back problems have stuck with me for better or for worse.

The doctor gave me back exercises. Which I did mediocrely faithfully. She also suggested exercise to lower my cholesterol. Doesn't everyone have high cholesterol?

But it wasn't til Jazzercise became all the rage at my church (that might be a slight exaggeration, but it does seem like a lot of people go and/or teach classes), and one of the older ladies that I mentioned yesterday offered my friend and I a 12 sessions for $20 sale that I finally found my niche. *knock on wood*

My friend and I attended together for a month and then extended it for 6 months. We went together for 6 months, and I just re-upped for a year. My goal has been 3x a week--what we tried doing for those 6 months--but with the craziness of back-to-school life, I'm satisfying myself with once a week.

Guys, I actually exercise once a week, regularly!

Do tell me that's better than nothing. I think so.

It's REALLY GOOD. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jazzercise is a combination of aerobic dance moves and weight-lifting to contemporary (read: "not-so-good") music.

I stuck it out those first 6 months for pretty much one reason: to become more active and in better shape for my future husband. True story. It really was a good motivator.

To become healthier in general. Not to lose weight, because when it doesn't happen immediately I get emotionally overwhelmed, depressed, and give up (or turn to frozen yogurt for consolation).

Now what compels me is this back of mine. Chiropractor visits and Jazzercise pain (because good exercise = pain) is what I've found that keeps me from needing Advil every night or waking up after 4 hours of sleep with horrific pain. (I've actually always been fine during the day; it's only at night that I've ever had these back issues.)

Nice little bow to wrap this up: I marvel that God can use something like chronic back pain to propel me to do what I've always wanted to do, needed to do, but never had the willpower to do. I don't exercise because I want to. I exercise because I have to. I'm so glad God can redeem circumstances so beautifully.

Secret? I actually like Jazzercising.

*gasp*

No comments:

Post a Comment