Friday, October 7, 2016

Day 7 of 31 Days of My Single Life

It is Friday night. The weekend.

I got home, dropped off my things, loaded up the dogs, and headed to the dog park.

The sun would be setting soon.

That means a week of schooling was complete, and I wouldn't pick it up again until tomorrow at sundown.

I am not a faithful Sabbath keeper. If I was, I wouldn't have caved in and watched some Netflix this evening. But I do try to not "work," i.e. not do what, in my everyday life, I consider work.

When I was in college, I'd take the day off from homework. Now, I take the day off from lesson planning.

I still do laundry and cook and even vacume, because those aren't the labors I need a rest from.

I vacillate between Saturday and Sunday, though I prefer the seventh day because, Biblically-speaking, that's what God sanctified and blessed. I have sometimes done from midnight to midnight but now try to stick to sundown to sundown. Again, because the evening and the morning were the first day, etc.

But I think there is something rather clever in God's design of days being sundown to sundown. There is always time in a day to work. Friday until sundown and Saturday after sundown. It relieves some of the stress of taking a day off, knowing you can get more done that evening.

For me, I think it is very mentally and emotionally healthy to force myself to take a day off from thinking of school. It is permission to stop. It is an invitation to chill. It is an opportunity to enjoy.

Is it a discipline? Yes. Inconvenient? Yes.

But is our God not capable of maximizing our work time when we follow His example of rest? I must believe so.

Someday I hope to be a better Sabbath keeper and not only rest but do a better job of keeping it holy. Not because I'm part of a cult or a denomination or a movement, but because I think it honors God.

Yay for weekends!


"In returning and rest you shall be saved;
In quietness and confidence shall be your strength,"
...Therefore the LORD will wait, that He may be gracious to you;
And therefore He will be exalted, that He may have mercy on you.

Isaiah 30:15, 18

No comments:

Post a Comment