Sunday, October 2, 2016

Day 2 of 31 Days of My Single Life

I kinda want to tell you about my binging on Trader Joe's Pumpkin and Cranberry Crisps dipped in Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread. Because it's either a very girly thing to do, or a very single girl thing to do, or just a really unwise thing to do, not sure. But I'm going to choose something else that didn't leave my stomach feeling like it had snacked itself into oblivion.

Today after church my friend (coincidentally, the same one I went to WalMart with) and I were heading out to Panera for an afternoon of lunch and working over our computer screens, when a mutual older friend stopped us and invited us to join her and a few other ladies at El Pollo Loco.

Now this specific grouping of older ladies I consider as THE group of quality women. Two are school teachers, one taught my nieces and nephews and let me volunteer in her class when I was a teenager, and one was a homeschool parent when I was being homeschooled. They all love Jesus, speak common sense, and, at least three of them, have cared about me enough in the past to be my go-to women for big prayer requests.

I am so blessed!

I am so blessed that in a church where I have made few friends and where I often feel like the odd man out (insecure much?), I have four women who I know care for me outside of the church walls, and although we may not talk to each other on a regular basis, I know they are available, and I trust them with my prayer requests. It was one of them (or a couple of them?) that told me before that they had been praying for me that God would bring me a husband. Talk about blow me away!

To go to Panera for a bowl of soup or head to El Pollo Loco to meet with these quality women whom we rarely get to fellowship with all in one place?

I had a chicken fajita burrito with chips and salsa.

Nice little bow to wrap this up: Older women are the best, for both married and single young women.

Ribbon attached to bow: Each of these women are unique. One is tomboy-ish and brusque. One pro-actively seeks me out, but is not into drama. One shares openly and without reserve. One smiles while she tells true shocking stories. Sometimes I feel like I need to adjust myself to better fit in with someone I'm hanging out with. But I remember how different each of these ladies are and . . . It's not one type of person that makes a difference or an impact or a good friend; it's all types.

"[T]he older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things--that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." (Titus 2:3-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment