Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Day 4 of 31 Days of My Single Life

"Then Chattanooga Choo Choo, won't you choo choo us home!" I belted out from my place at the piano, banging out chords as I completely forgot about the poor computer class on the other side of the wall.

I teach at a small Christian school, which means I get many opportunities to teach more than my grades. This quarter I'm in charge of preparing the elementary students for the Performing Arts Celebration later this month. In keeping with the '40s/50s theme set out by the Fine Arts Director, I've been teaching them the song Chattanooga Choo Choo.

That was quite an ambitious song to choose.

But I love big band music!

Last week after a dismal practice of the aforementioned song, I pulled up piano music and guitar chords on my little phone, sat down at the piano with my copy of the lyrics, and figured out how we were going to do this! Because the instrumental version I had bought on iTunes is too raucous, too fast, and too low in key.

Today was our first try of me leading at the piano as the kids behind me took turns saying their lines.

"Sarah! 'You leave the Pennsylvania Station 'bout a quarter to four.'

"Mary! 'Read a magazine and then you're in Baltimore.'

"Ready, Karen? 'Dinner in the diner--'

"Ellie . . . 'Nothing could be finer'

"Girls! *slowly* 'Than to have your ham 'n' eggs in Carolina.'"

Whew! I think we can, I think we can...

Did I mention I love big band music?

Nice little bow to wrap this up: MY plans were to be a SAHM, not to have a career in teaching. And who knows, maybe next year my life will be completely redirected. But for this season I feel daily blessed that I have a job where I get to have "my" kids and teach them and share God's Word with them and feel fulfilled and basically receive many of the benefits of being a homeschool mom while still a single.

"He grants the barren woman a home,
Like a joyful mother of children.
Praise the LORD!"
Psalm 113:9

No comments:

Post a Comment